Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Greatest Show on Earth

I sincerely hope that I'm not the only person that wants to watch the "building" of my child. I can't help but think about the building of new cells, especially those that will dictate who our child will be at his or her core. Will it have my eyes, nose, ears, or mouth? How has the brain formed according to the instructions given? It's awe inspiring!

So if I could watch the whole process, that would be awesome. Strange? Yeah sure, but I've always loved biology. I just wish I had done something with that love. But in any case, I get to see the end result of our genetics. With over seven billion humans on the planet (roughly), it is difficult to see what this means on a biological level. By the most basic explanation, this means that I have successfully contributed to the evolution of the human race. Am I putting the process of procreation on a pedestal? Sure!

That is part of what I am excited about. Not knowing what exactly we have contributed to the gene pool of the human race. What minor change in the code could our child have that may or may not show? How will it change future generations, if at all? I realize I ask a lot of questions in my blog posts, and that is thanks to my eager mind. I can't wait to know all about our kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment