Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Fear of the Dark

It is currently inconceivable to fully realize how the next 8 to 9 months will be. I can barely stand the week it is taking to get to the doctor's appointment. Every moment that ticks by is in slow motion. I am ready to hear a heartbeat, I'm ready to feel a kick, I'm ready to rush to the hospital. It's all taking so long!

It wasn't long ago I was saying I wasn't having kids anytime soon. I had a fear of having children. I played out how the drama would unfold if Alicia were to tell me she was pregnant. There would be tears and a horrible look at our budget, no smiles on any face, not a single laugh or word of hope.

Depressing right? I should take this moment to clarify for my future child, don't worry, this is not how it all played out. I would never say you were an accident. Unexpected, sure, but the best things in life usually are. No, this huge moment in our lives happened in a completely unprecedented way. My nerves were almost vibrating with an intoxicating energy as I waiting for Alicia to give me the results. When she told me, my mind was filled with all the hope in the world. I felt a joy I had never felt before and I am still coming down from that high.

I suppose I should make some sort of moral point here in order to wrap this up. When you face the darkness ahead, try not to expect the worst. True, there can be monsters that will hurt you, holes that you will inevitably trip and fall into, and even walls that will feel impassable. You can try to be as ready as possible for these events, but in the end, you're still moving forward in the dark. It is in this darkness that you find the greatest moments in life. If you stop, you will feel temporarily secure, but all the joy of life will drain out until you no longer have the will to move ahead.

Oh, and if you dig down to the very bottom and then dig around the 10th layer up from the bottom, you'll find diamonds and redstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment