Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Foobar!

Finally taking the time to start a baby playlist in Foobar2000. It's fun, but I have to keep in mind that this is for our baby and not for me. Haha, even better since so much of it won't even be audible to Alicia and I as the headphones will be on Alicia's belly for the better part of this year. Even though the baby won't be able to make sense of the words, I certainly don't want to add Nine Inch Nails - Closer to the mix, even though a good electronic "wall of sound" would definitely be stimulating to a developing brain. So what good will this actually do? Who knows, but it certainly can't hurt.

Occasionally I will make a post listing some of the music on the baby playlist. Kind of like this:

Osipov State Russian Folk Orchestra, Vitaly Gnutov – Fantasy on Two Songs

Masashi Hamauzu – Via Purifico

Tori Amos – Cloud on My Tongue

If you have any suggestions, feel free to comment. Chopin will certainly be making an appearance, as well as Tchaikovsky. It seems like every single article I've found talking about say Beethoven's Fifth Symphony is a good choice; I'm convinced that's because it's the only classical piece the writer knows and thinks it sounds smart. I'm not a huge Beethoven fan. I went to a Beethoven concert once and when we all shouted for an encore, he rudely bowed and walked away as if he didn't hear us. Pffft, what a diva.

Edit: For those that don't know, the fetus develops the ability to hear over the course of the first and second trimester, more specifically around week 20. Vibrations may still be felt and therefore "heard," but scientists are not sure exactly when.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I've had a musical crush on Regina Spektor since I first heard her voice, so I vote for her stuff. Also, I'm not really familiar with the songs you've mentioned. Just joking. I'm listening to Fantasy on Two Song. Me gusta.

    ReplyDelete