Saturday, January 15, 2011

Language

We have already decided that we really want our child to be bilingual, and yes, I am expecting "bi" jokes. I know a lot of Americans love to think that English is the top language and that there is some invisible war against foreign languages somehow invading our free country. The truth is that we have no official language. I know, the greater portion of our population uses English, but that does not make it the official language. A universal language, sure. So why raise a child to be bilingual? Easy, there is no reason not to. No valid reason anyway.

The Good:

  • Better access to other cultures.
  • Higher understanding of language
  • Future job opportunities involving fluent speaking of two or more languages.
  • Easier learning of additional languages.

I keep finding more good, therefore I'm just going to leave this one as one big etcetera.

So what about the bad? Not much at all to be honest. One could say that they would have a problem with their kid knowing a language they didn't. In that case, why not learn a language as well? My parents are in their fifties and picking up Spanish just fine, though it's true that children learn new languages faster. If you didn't know that, chances are you're less concerned about your kid's education and more concerned with his/her performance in sports. I digress. What better reason to pick up another language? The more I read on the subject, the more I see that the only 'bad reasons' are due to xenophobia, hate, and good old all American racism. It must be deathly uncomfortable atop that high horse.

There is a kind Indian man that comes into Walmart every now and then. I typically say hello and ask how he is doing, general small talk. If we both have the time, we will spark a conversation about any number of topics. Sometimes it's economy, public transportation in India compared to America, or differences in culture and how different world problems are handled. In one of our conversations we talked about how both countries handle language. He laughed about various people he heard complaining about learning Spanish and voicing their concern that it was going to somehow hurt America. He then told me, to my astonishment, that there are eighteen (18!) official languages in India. I would say holy cow here, but that would imply stereotypical disrespect. So instead I'll imply that I would have typed 'holy cow' there.

It's true, English is their second official language. He knows five different languages, including English. He did not appear to be confused. He did not seem to feel that his culture or way of life was somehow intruded upon by knowing more than one language. He even had plenty of experience with foreigners coming into India and speaking uncommon languages and didn't express any concern over them destroying the established way of life. So what's the deal? Why do we have such low support for bilingual learning in our education system? This is the melting pot after all, regardless of what anyone thinks.

So then, another 'plan' is set and another hope is established for our yet to be born. Perhaps our child will have the benefit of speaking more than one language in this vast world. Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, and many more possibilities. In my humble opinion, America has lost the art of language. It's time to right that wrong.

2 comments:

  1. I'd say learn the biggest language of the respective main european branches, and get started early. Check out the indo-european language tree.

    Oler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. I'm excited for your kid already! Granted, I enjoy languages, but teaching children multiple languages is a great idea. I've brought Spanish into my preschool classrooms with various color and number posters. I should brush up on my Japanese and teach the kids some of that, too.

    ReplyDelete